Monday, January 24, 2011

Sore Thumb

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to turn heads in San Francisco.  Men dress in drag so tight you can see their ribs compressing. Homeless men and women scream at the imaginary people in front of them--sometimes so convincing I hope they have a Blue Tooth in their ear. There is no such thing as an extreme outfit.  I went shopping today downtown... and I realized after hours of shopping that I may have been the only person in the store wearing flared jeans and sneakers.  That's when it occurred to me that I might have been the person sticking out.  Tourist.  I'm looking at a jewelry rack thinking if I don't want a ring heavier and larger than my hand, my only option is a man's wedding band.  The more I think about it, the more I realize that my lack of flats, leggings, and clunky jewelry has me screaming 2005. Which doesn't sound very outdated... but it is.  This isn't my proclamation for change either... I didn't turn around and buy the $60 sweater that's already has that trendy moth-eaten look.  I'll stay in my high school time capsule.

Also, the Forever 21 and the H&M in San Fran have maternity sections.  There's a joke somewhere in there about being a mother and dressing like a young adult... Completely irrelevant, yes, but entirely worth mentioning nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment