Friday, August 3, 2012

Living...the dream?

I have taken the plunge. No, not that one.  The far less envy-inspiring, and much more nerve-racking plunge into unemployment.  It wasn't a heat-of-the-moment walk-out, although that may have been far more exhilarating.  No, this was a premeditated, four months in the making plan to quit my full-time job.  At some point this Spring it occurred to me that the majority of my co-workers were college-educated and had been working at the restaurant for nearly ten years. What was keeping them there was the same reason I had been there a year longer than I had planned: it was comfortable.  So while it may be everyone else's opinion that quitting a full-time, well paying job in 2012 was the dumbest idea ever, I can honestly say I'm excited about it.  Not excited in a sleep in 'til 10, watch daytime TV, and stuff my face around the clock kind of way.  To be honest, that's the last thing I want to do.  I'm excited about the idea of a job finally doing what I love. I'm excited about having a normal work day again.  I've been craving the nine-to-five, the early-morning commute, and the dress pants. (I've spent the last eighteen months in the same apron). But mostly, I've been craving the writing.  Sure, I still write everyday. It's fairly random, between blogging, fiction writing, and freelancing for newspapers.  But I miss the structure; the obligation to write; the consistency that comes with it. This is what I came here for; this is why I moved across the country.  At some point I forgot that...but I'm thrilled that it didn't take me ten years of serving food to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment